Employment Opportunity - Nursing Unit Manager - Palliative Care
Thursday, 6 April 2023
#509307 Nursing Unit Manager
Department of Palliative Care
Calvary Mater Newcastle
Progress with purpose at one of Australia’s largest health care providers
Get ahead with salary packaging, benefits and professional development in a supportive team environment
- Full Time Permanent position + 1 monthly ADO
- Nursing Unit Manager Level 2, remuneration per week $2,381.50
About the role
Our Palliative Care team focus on supporting patients who are approaching or reaching the end of their life. We are seeking a Nursing Unit Manager who will lead our team of professional staff to help patients achieve dignity, comfort and maximise the quality of life for the patient, family and loved ones.
The Nurse Unit Manager in collaboration with the Director of Palliative Care is responsible for the provision of leadership and direction to ensure the development and maintenance of a high performing, evidenced based safe and effective specialist Palliative Care Service. The Nurse Unit Manager will operationalise strategic plans and department direction within the Hospice and Outreach, this includes providing operational input into the development of these plans.
Additionally the Nurse Unit Manager is accountable for the efficient and effective management of the Hospice and Outreach Service and the integration of palliative and end of life nursing practices within Calvary Mater Newcastle.
Provide leadership for Clinical Palliative Care services within the hospice and outreach. This includes promotion of an integrated service within Calvary Mater Newcastle (Nursing Services) with clinical linkages that place the patient at the centre of care.
Effective liaison with all staff, internal and external (other health organisations and community services), to deliver a quality service that is promoted and maintained within Calvary Mater Newcastle.
Responsible for coordination and performance of the Department of Palliative Care in conjunction to ensure service provision, patient assessment, care planning, care coordination and continuing management is in accordance with professional standards and legislative requirements; including participation in the bed allocation, transfer of care and patient flow processes according to patient need and the hospitals requirements.
What you bring
- Nursing Unit Management or In-Charge experience in an acute/subacute facility and or ambulatory setting and ability to work proficiently in periods of high demand and activity
- Demonstrated ability to lead, develop and manage a team in a multidisciplinary environment,
- Demonstrated ability to manage financial and human resources
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to improving health care through quality improvement and implementation of evidenced based care.
- A desire to join a team committed to the care of others in a mission based organisation
The Calvary Mater Newcastle is an Affiliated Health Organisation providing services to both public and private patients primarily from the Hunter New England area. Current employees of NSW Health can request to have various leave entitlement balances transferred to Calvary Mater Newcastle on commencement. Leave types may include but not limited to Long Service Leave, Annual Leave and Sick Leave. Applicants are encouraged to discuss this with the Convenor for further information.
For further information please contact Kim Kolmajer, Director of General Medicine and Palliative Care on Kim.Kolmajer@calvarymater.org.au or (02) 4014 4705
Why work for Calvary?
At Calvary, our staff matter.
Join our team, learn with purpose and drive positive impact in one of Australia’s largest healthcare providers across Public and Private Hospitals, Residential Aged Care and Home Care.
With over 130 years’ experience and 18,000 staff and volunteers, we offer an inclusive and welcoming culture where you are valued, drawing on your own strengths, identity and background alongside a team of professionals who care for our patients, residents and clients.
- NFP salary packaging benefits, discounted health insurance and gym memberships
- Paid parental leave
- Training, development pathways and career opportunities
- Flexible hours that make sense for you
Apply now to start your career in an organisation that is making a positive difference in the community.
Please note the following:
- As part of the application process, you will be required to complete pre-employment checks which may include, but is not limited to reference checks, work rights, criminal history check, WWCC checks, and a health evaluation to ensure suitability for the role
- Calvary has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination requirement for all workers. You will also be required to provide evidence of other immunisation as required for your role including influenza, tuberculosis screening, hepatitis, diphtheria, tetanus, varicella.
Closing on: Apr 23 2023